Tuesday, February 4, 2014

True Life: I'm Afraid of a Book

I'm not talking about horror or gothic books here.  Have you ever bought a book and been intimidated by it? Be it because of size, content, author, etc.?  Yet, you want to read it because it seems interesting and maybe you'll feel smarter for knocking it out...Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne.

 
 I found this edition at the thrift shop for a dollar. I had heard of it before through the motions of British Literature study in university, so I figured I'd buy it and give it a whirl.  Don't ask me to explain what it's about. I don't know. Well, I can't explain it.  It seems intriguing, but complicated and intimidating. I know if I read it I will feel smart and proud, but it still freaks me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment