Friday, February 14, 2014

I Am SO Happy For Ellen Page.

I have been a fan of Ellen Page ever since Juno. I don't know how anyone couldn't have loved her in that film, and because of how great she was I went on to see her in various other roles. Still great. The big news about her today is that she's come out as a lesbian, and I am SO happy for her. She presented this wonderful speech, which every single person should watch:


There is so much about this speech that I think every single person can resonate with regardless of your sexuality. I do not think anyone should have to live a life of fear because of one aspect of who they are. I am generally a person who tries to understand both sides of the coin when it comes to social or political issues, but equals rights for the LGBTQ is an issue I cannot see an alternative to in any way, shape, or form. The earnestness of her voice could not be more convincing, and if I were someone who needed it, I'd be sold. People should not have to hide who they are to avoid being abused by society. Can you imagine living with something that is a part of who you are that you're afraid to reveal because by doing so you could put everything from your career to personal safety in jeporady? Living with a huge secret can make you sick. The way she describes the torment that millions of people live with on a daily basis is heartbreaking.

I've seen gossip blogs questions her sexuality ever since she emerged onto the radar. She always brushed off the questions on the grounds that it is nobody's business. I couldn't agree more. I don't think it is the business of anyone who we love and feel attracted to. No one should feel pressured to share that, but they also should not feel ashamed if they want to. I applaud her fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment