Monday, February 3, 2014

I'm a Clothes Horse

One of my personal goals for myself is to be a little more frugal with my money, and to spend it less on pricey clothing.  Everyone who knows me knows quite well that I absolutely live on ModCloth. I love their clothing because it's so unique, yet comfortable.  I very rarely have quality issues, their support teams are great and very helpful, and their information about sizing is nearly flawless.  Shopping online is always risky because you cannot try the garment on in the store, but ModCloth actually tells you if you need to size up or down in whatever shoes or clothing you're purchasing.  While some of their clothing can be a bit pricey, you can find moderately priced items, and when they have a sale, they really have a sale.

I figured because I'm often asked about where my clothes come from that here and there I will post pictures of some of my attire so you may know just where it came from!  For example, my ENTIRE outfit on Christmas is brought to you from ModCloth.
 
The dress, and the sweater came from their domain.  I don't know if the dress is still available, but the sweater is, and it comes in millions of colors. Super comfy and a great investment because they aren't super heavy.  You cannot see my necklace well, but it came from Charming Charlie some time ago, and I was wearing these shoes. Super comfy.
 
If I wear anything particularly remarkable, I'll make effort to share it. However, the picture will likely be terrible, and a self-portrait.  I'm not going to make people take pictures for me! I'll be back to retail soon, and my job requires you to wear whatever color you want as long as it's solid black.  Unfortunately, my rainbow of clothes won't get to come about at this job...but I still manage to make some spiffy outfits.  I am going to make an earnest effort not to spend money like a fiend (ahem, loans).  Do I wish I had been less frivolous with my money at times? Yes. If I were better at saving over the years, I probably would have a decent amount saved to start paying off loans now! However, when I was eighteen, had you told me the direction my life would take...I probably would've thought you were Bedlam-bound.
 
Also, the fact that I actually began to feel good in clothes...that's a pretty profound deal right there.  I have always been self-conscious about my appearance.  I very rarely felt pretty growing up, and I thought I was fat.  In high school, I became crazy about exercising and eating healthy. I would starve myself, and if I over-ate or skipped a day of exercising, I would make my workouts two or three hours longer.  I also stopped getting a period for a while...which should have been a sign. At my thinnest, I hit 124lbs at the beginning of my sophomore year...pretty damn skinny by my standards! Then because of anxiety and depression, I wound up gaining weight because I would overeat and I felt bad about myself.  I ended 10th grade around 160lbs...which really isn't that big, but when you gain a significant amount of weight in a short amount of time, AND you're an insecure teenage girl...that weight was hard to handle.
 
When I graduated high school, I was near 175lbs. I generally hated clothes because I didn't feel good about my appearance.  I always have had a little flare for fashion so I managed to find things and make it work, but it could be really hard.  During my first semester of community college, in Fall 2008, I started working my first retail job.  By the end of 2009, I was in my second retail stint, and also in the 140lb range. The day I zipped up a medium dress perfectly made me feel so good.  I didn't change my eating habits too terribly, but standing on my feet for 3-6 hours a few times a week I reckon contributed to my weight loss.
 
I managed to keep the weight off for several years, and sometimes I'd fluctuate a little, but my clothes always fit.  When I went away to Longwood, I didn't gain weight at all. I actually lost a little during my last semester because of healthy eating, and unfortunately because of stress.
 
I don't know how this manifested into a weight post, but alas. My big point is, I think that my clothes-loving ways are a reflection of my getting more comfortable with my body. Not only that, but finding clothes that I feel great wearing.  In my opinion, if a dress makes you feel great, then it's worth a little splurge. However, I will definitely be embracing what I already have.
 
So yes, posts about body/weight will be coming, as well as clothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment