Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Buy Books Second Hand

I swear to you, buying books in a thrift shop is the greatest thing I've begun to do. Not only is the selection surprisingly well-rounded, but also really cheap. I'm that person who is always buying books in large quantities (hey, I majored in the English) and I don't get to them immediately. As I've likely mentioned, I haven't been a book lover my entire life, and I do feel like I'm doing some catch up. During my Fall break my last semester, my mother and I took a trip to a thrift store, and she bought me three books for five bucks! Seriously. Today, I found seven books and spent less than $25.00. I remember spending roughly that when Anne Rice's The Wolf Gift was released in hardback. Even going to a retailer that sells books new, you can buy three paperbacks for more than that!

I have yet to have quality issues (only concern I had was if they'd have all of the pages or any flaws).  However, I reckon they inspect books before selling them. Everyone from Shakespeare to Austen to John Green to Nicholas Sparks is covered in second hand bookstores. Of course, like any thrift shop, it's a hit or miss, but this day was certainly a hit!  My titles include:

Emma by Jane Austen
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (this one was $8.95, and the most expensive)
Moby Dick by Herman Melville (I've oddly never read it, and it was ONE DOLLAR/great condition)
Pamela by Samuel Richardson

The bonus about buying classics is there's usually a variety of editions (and you can pick the one you want be it for the cheapest price or whatever). Also, they're in pretty good shape because I reckon most of these were probably books someone had to read for school, and they are ready to get rid of as soon as the class is over! So, if you're a bibliophile, and pinching pennies, I strongly suggest checking out places that sell used copies because you'll save a fortune. Sometimes you do need the new copy, or a specific edition because teachers/professors require them, and sadly some titles are obscure and hard to find. Lesson of the day, second hand books are the bees knees. And you really cannot lose. I found Jack Kerouac's On the Road (a book I've heard you love or hate)in a thrift store and it was like $1.50. If I hate it, I don't lose $14.00, but if I love it, then ooooh vintage.

No comments:

Post a Comment