Friday, February 28, 2014

She posted THAT on Facebook?

I probably encounter a post weekly that involves someone complaining about what other people post on the internet, particularly Facebook. From politics to religion to "selfies" (ew, I can't believe I just used that word), to crap from their "fandom" (another fake word I hate) to school grades etc. I've also seen posts about people complaining about the people who post pictures of their children all the time. The latest I've read people bitching about would be the funny, entertaining quizzes on BuzzFeed. I don't really get the annoyance of people doing those. Maybe it's because I think it's funny and amusing. Seriously, of all the things to find irritation with in the world, you're going to choose "Which Boy Meets World Character Are You?" For the record, I got Angela. Who didn't love Angela?

Before I get into criticizing people for what they find annoying, let me tell you what I personally don't like. I find it ridiculous the way the people will post about hot button issues on their Facebooks. To me, it's the virtual "kick me" sign that implies "I want to instigate an argument." For me, personally, I'm not interested in posting my political ideologies on the internet for a multitude of reasons. One being that I don't think they are anyone's business, and I don't consider myself to be really left or right. Some issues I can see both sides of the coin and others I can't. Also, I am not informed enough to engage in tons of political banter (granted, aren't those usually the people who do?). I'm not interested in arguing about political bullshit on the internet because something as personal as political or religious ideologies is not something that can be persuaded over the internet. It's more than likely the person you're fighting with about abortion, or whatever issue, already has their opinion set in stone. You trying to change their mind or insulting them by calling them sexist or ignorant isn't really going to make them think twice; it's just going to piss them off before they understand your point of view.

I'm not saying we shouldn't engage with people who have different ideas, but maybe there's a better way than hiding behind Facebook? Perhaps ask you friend to go out for coffee and discuss different perspectives then? I just think pursing this dialogue over the internet is comparable to beating a dead horse. You're allowed to disagree, but this is my opinion. If you sit there and argue online with people, then you're just going to be dismissed as a troll by them more than likely.

You just won't get a jewel for a belly button.
 

I once stumbled upon a blog post that said people shouldn't post their grades on the internet, and people who are parents shouldn't post their children's grades. Why? Because it makes others feel bad, and "who cares?" Welcome to the internet, sunshine! Social media thrives on people posting things that nobody gives a rat's ass about (narcissism 101 folks). People are going to post what they want. I'm not going to sit around bashing my Facebook friends who use their page for political banter because it's not going to stop it. Do I wish I were a person who made straight A's every semester of college? Yes. And ya know, sometimes I do feel envious of people who make that happen, and the pictures of people graduating with all of their honors cords. I'll have honors cords, but I won't have twenty. However, I can't sit around feeling bad about myself and comparing myself to other people because I'm not graduating summa cum laude.
 
Last semester I had three A's and two A-'s. I've never had a semester of nothing but A grades, and I worked my ass off for them. If I want to post about my grades, I'm going to! Considering the bumps in my journey, a semester like that is worth sharing for me. I wanted to scream it from the rooftops because it felt like a type of transcendence! The intention isn't to invoke envy or make people feel badly, it's just to say "Hey, look how well I did! I'm proud of myself!" I agree that we do as a society impose difficult standards onto students, be it kids in grade school or in university. However, should people not be allowed to feel proud of their achievements because it makes other people feel bad?
 
I look at people with flat stomachs and wish I had one. I wish I had a 4.0. I wish I were fluent in French. I wish I was smart enough to go to Columbia. And sure, it'd be nice to find a nice man-friend. I see people post about these things, but I'm not going to tell them not to because it makes me feel bad about myself! The cards I've been dealt have to be worked with if I want to be happy with myself, and it's not been the easiest of ventures.
 
A-MEN!
 
If you're on Facebook, hell if you're on the internet, you're signing up to see and read things you don't really care about, or that maybe you'll envy. From job promotions to posts about poop. I think it's silly how many "selfies" people on my Facebook post, but they probably think my pictures of my dog and posts about books are annoying. Whatever. Deal with it, or delete your Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment