Thursday, February 6, 2014

More thoughts on Weight

I don't know why this blog has had so many entries thus far dedicated to exercise/weight/health, but that's just what's on my mind, as well I'm seeing a lot of posts about it on the internet lately.

I think it's pretty safe to say that our culture is quite obsessed with body image.  We tell people that being "thin" is beautiful, yet if someone is too thin they we assume they have a disorder.  Even if someone is a healthy thin they are scrutinized (oftentimes out of envy, frankly).  On the flipside, women who aren't thinny thin are pegged "real women," "plus sized," "fat," "unhealthy," "obese," etc.  Point being that regardless of what type of body a woman has she cannot win!  Want to know how many conversations I've had, texts I've gotten, that were about a woman's body? A lot.  You know, "oh my god, she got HUGE," or "oh my god she got so skinny she looks like a skeleton." 

I absolutely think we need to learn to be respectful to all types of bodies.  HOWEVER, what we really need to do is embrace health.  While we shouldn't shame people for being over/underweight, we need to encourage healthiness.  Now, I don't think we should all run around telling people who are obese to work out.  It's really not my business what people do with their bodies and how they eat (or don't).  I do think our media could change with this one, and start promoting healthiness, regardless of size, to the public.  Take an actress like Jennifer Lawrence.  She is, in my opinion, a THIN girl. I remember being very disturbed when George on The Fashion Police described her as "bigger" than other actresses during an episode.  Seriously, you've got to be kidding me.  To me, Jennifer Lawrence looks like a healthy woman.  She's not emaciated by any means, but she's skinny by my own standards.

People should be encouraged to want to love their bodies and take good care of them, and you can weigh quite a few weights in order to do that.  The better care you take, the better you feel, and it's also just freaking good for your health.  Who wouldn't want to live longer? I think it would kind of suck to die prematurely because I didn't take care of myself. I also just feel better if I try to eat healthy and care for myself.  If I spend all day being inactive and eating potato chips, I don't feel as well.  However, if I exercise a little, and eat decently, I am much more comfortable.

This is complicated to write about because I don't think it's fair to shame or disgrace anyone for their body.  I think we do need to encourage healthy living though, regardless of what weight that puts you at.  It is much easier said than done, I know this from firsthand experience.  When you hate how you look you aren't going to feel motivated to eat better or take a little walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment