Friday, March 7, 2014

The "Average" Barbie

I've heard of people campaigning for Barbie dolls that look "normal" or like "real women" for ages. The most recent one, is this doll, and the creator is actually on his way to getting them manufactured. Personally, I think the dolls are very pretty, and if I were a little girl I'd love to play with them. However, whenever these types of things come up I get a little confused. There's no denying my own personal issues with my physical appearance, and that I started being insecure when I was very young. However, I don't think I'd blame my Barbie. I don't think I would blame any of my dolls. Honestly, I cannot pin point where my self-consciousness about my body engendered itself, but I don't think I would blame my dollies because they made me so happy as a child and I would spend the ENTIRE day, sun up to sun down, playing with them. I had a pretty good understanding of the fact that they were DOLLS, not real people, and not modeled to look real. Dolls are rooted in fantasy, in imaginative play; of course they aren't going to look "real."

Then I find annoyance in the concept of the "real woman." I hate the term "real woman." Not everyone looks like this "Normal Barbie" and they shouldn't be shamed for it. Some people are shorter, taller, thinner, fatter, etc. There are people out there with bodies that look more like the long legged, buxom Barbie (sans chronic tippy toes). Placing a standard on what is normal is just as dangerous as the "thin is in" standards of our media today.

If we really want to create dolls that represent "real women" then they need to come in every shape and size combination under the sun (as well as skin colors, hair, eyes, and even things like cellulite, muscle tone, and veins will need to be brought in). I appreciate the efforts for positive body acceptance because not all young girls understand that fantasy element of dolls, or even that the media's interpretation of beauty is flawed (seriously, if we were given the list of people it took to make an actress look as she does our minds would probably be blown). However, I don't think we should use words like "real" or "normal" because it still others different bodies. It isn't really fair to shame a tall and skinny girl, but it also isn't fair to shame a short girl with an average body weight, or an average heighted girl who is considered overweight. In fairness, I think people and our media are much more cruel to average or overweight women, but it's not exactly right to be hateful to someone for having a different body than you, regardless of how "good" or "bad" you find their body to be.

I've surely said it before, but I'll say it again: We need to stop obsessing about how big or small someone's body is, and think more about being healthy. Eat what's good for you, enjoy the not so healthy stuff in moderation (I think it's impossible to just outlaw cake from your life), exercise now and then, and do things like listen to music or read books that just make your brain happy. If you're brain is happy, you'll feel a bit better, and actually want to take care of your body.

*drops mic*

No comments:

Post a Comment