Thursday, March 20, 2014

Reasons to Exercise Apart from Weight Loss

1. It decreases anxiety and depression. As someone who struggles with both, this is huge. You can take all of the medication you want, but medicine isn't a magical pill that solves every issue you'll ever have, and sometimes medication can make things worse. I am not anti-psychiatric medication, as someone who benefits from it, but my point is that it will not solve everything.

2. You don't have to look nice. Seriously, you can take a walk or a run in your pajamas and it's more practical than a face of makeup and slacks. Or high heels. When as was a teenager, I remember popping right out of bed in my pjs and hopping on the elliptical. Not gonna lie, I still do this sometimes, or if I'm especially lazy I'll sleep in sweat pants so that all I have to do is put my hair in a bun, put on a sport's bra, grab my sneakers, and run.

3. You can do it while watching TV. I feel a lot less bad about watching six hours of RuPaul's Drag Race if I spend some of that time viewing it while walking on the treadmill or doing sit ups through commercial breaks.

4. It's a good time to catch up on music. Whenever I have new music to listen to, I bring it to the treadmill and the time flies.

5. You can read. Okay, personally, I don't know how people do this, but some people have figured it out, so it is a thing.

6. No one will bother you. Kind of like doing yard work, no one really wants to talk to you if you're exercising because they'll be afraid that you'll ask them to join in.

7. You just feel better. Who doesn't want to feel better? Be it because you don't feel fat, or endorphins, it's a nice feeling to not feel icky.

8. Energy drinks. Yep, I'm going there. But working out is MORE than a valid reason for the magic that is Red Bull.

No comments:

Post a Comment